Friday 1 May 2015

I have a skylark hangover.

I have cycled myself into this gently undulating landscape but never have I walked these fields and footpaths beyond Eynsford. We hit three small North West Kent parishes one after another, Farningham, Eynsford, Shoreham. They're enclosed within the M25, M26 and M20, but the trees, fields and waterways are unaware of these major highways, and I often need reminding.







Birds have a capacity to bring to mind nostalgic memories of summers past. Are there many sounds sweeter than the skylark, many sights brighter than the iridescent blue of a darting kingfisher? Robins, wrens, long tailed tits, a charm of goldfinches, I could go on, it was a good day for birds. Unless you're a female pheasant, I kept a souvenir feather, evidence of a scuffle.

We walked 20 winding miles for the long awaited training walk no.5. The ground was easier than the Thames Path but honestly, my feet still hurt. It's a new pain this time, I normally welcome change. I'm not using pain in a throw away sense here, my feet hurt, especially the right one. The fields of rapeseed shone as if whilst we looked, it owned all light. These intense yellow flowers do ease pain. The rain clouds even managed to stay over our shoulders, it wouldn't dare.






As the shadows grew ever longer and still with miles to cover our journey back brought in the golden hour, that window of rich evening light. We browsed the second hand books of Martin Finch, a quaint village bookshop within Farningham's high street, opposite the curry house. A few stops for water, a pause to let a runner through and a moment to redo laces we were done.

Walking into my garden only one feeling came to mind, the feeling to keep going, go do that walk again, twice over, and only then are you done. I took off my boots, wiggled my toes, that's better. We're doing alright. We really are because we've both gone beyond our fund-raising targets, so thank you to each person who has made that happen. It's genuinely helping me put one foot in front of the other. This was once an easy task, then a difficult one and now a stupidly difficult one. I'm still excited though...

We don't want the money raising to stop, obviously. Donate here for me and here for Claire if you so wish! London to Brighton, just over 3 weeks away, 62 miles await us. But for now, I have a skylark hangover.






No comments:

Post a Comment