Monday 8 June 2015

Something More Than Nothing.

Since that ridiculous 62 mile walk I did and a month or so before that, I have neglected my bicycle. I feel I need to put that right. So I decided, on a whim, to cycle to Land's End, and then back again. 12 days, about 800 miles, wild camping en route. Sounds fun. I'm making it a reality. That walk has left me with itchy feet. It's also left me with a want to write more. And personally, between you and me, that's perhaps the best thing to come out of the experience. I have really, really enjoyed it. I like to quote, so here's one to sum up this madness; "Every great idea is on the verge of being stupid" - Michel Gondry. I'm treading the fine line.

I'll leave on the 15th of this month, however that's not set in stone, I may leave the day before. I have an ambitious plan to make Land's End in 4 days, or leaving that day earlier, 5. This will hopefully give me a leisurely 8 days to make the trip back. I've chosen 4 days as a challenge, something to aim for. Although it really doesn't matter if it takes 6. I'm planning separate routes. I'll attempt to take in as much of the north coast of the south west on the way down as I can. And I'll skirt the south coast on my return trip. Once I hit Brighton, I'll head north.

I've decided to undertake this alone. I'll carry all my equipment upon my bicycle. I'll be riding my carbon fibre racer so weight is key. My bodily frame is pretty light as it is meaning weight of equipment doesn't matter as much as it could have. That said, I don't want to take unnecessary items. I'm used to riding with no added weight so it's going to take some getting used to. My decision to ride alone, solo, has alarmed some. Alone but not lonely. I can't really explain my decision without babbling on and not giving any explanation at all. It's just how I want to do it. I may meet other cyclists on the way, who knows, I'll welcome serendipity. I want to go by myself. 

There are many things to think about. The weather being something frequently on my mind. I will cope with anything but persistent rain and headwinds, those are the things that could really hinder my progress. However, the long range forecast is looking OK, and in some cases, very good. Having written that sentence, no doubt I'll hit snowdrifts... I plan to make camp sites at the end of each days ride, but secretly hope I don't. Wild camping by stealth sounds a lot more fun, and cheaper. I've spent a big chunk on this already, if I can camp for free, I will.

I have a tiny one man tent, which is basically a bivvy bag with tent poles. I have a tiny sleeping bag, which folds down to the size of a cantaloupe. I tracked down a neat saddle bag which will hold the majority of my kit. I'll strap everything that doesn't fit within that, to my handlebars. This will also see to some weight distribution. I'm toying with the idea of tri-bars, for comfort on the long days. I'm undecided about a few things and I still have some bits and bobs to get.

Of course I have many more things to consider. Theft of my steed won't be ideal, I need to be careful. I will take a lock, and when I have to leave it unattended, I'll hurry whatever it is I'm doing! I want to enjoy the trip, and having vehicles whizz past at 60 will not be enjoyable, so the smaller the road the better, sensible route planning will see to this. Keeping everything charged could become tricky. I only have my phone and GPS to worry about. I have a portable battery pack and solar charger, both of which should hopefully see me through. I hope many a cafe stop will be so kind to provide me with some charge time! Lastly, food and sleep. As long as I get a suitable amount of both, things should run smoothly. Like I said with the walk, if it was all easy, I probably wouldn't do it!

I'd love to be able to keep updating my endeavours of the trip here, but battery power will dictate that. I will be taking a notepad and pencil so there will be some sort of 'write up'. It's a week to the day, when it begins, somewhere between 800-1000 miles in 12 days. It's been a while since I've gone for a ride and not been sure of the destination at the days end. And I like the sound of that. I also like the sound of taking a dip in fresh secluded rivers. And waking up to sea views in coastal fields. Although beauty aside, a few days ago I unfolded a map of the south west, and gulped.


No comments:

Post a Comment